...and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

-Genesis 1:2-3



Saturday, February 8, 2014

Stalled


Emptiness. Bottle seeping, sloshing water over the mouth. Still tides, new moon nights held black against a lightless sky.

And there is where the poetics end.

My brain is stalled at the moment. I don't really know what else to update on. There hasn't been any major happenings lately. It's been a little over a week since coming to KC, and while it seems like I've been here a lot longer than just a week, it's also a realization, again, that I'm not going home and this is only week one in a very long series of weeks to come.

Work consisted of two snow days and coming in late for the other three. I have three emails in my inbox, all welcomes and announcements. No voicemails, no folders, no words yet in writing. But it was a good first week, and once we all get used to each other, I'm going to like my job. Once I actually get to writing stories, I'm going to love it. First week in the history books. Let us rejoice that I know how to get to and from the office, as well!

I guess I'll make this really short, because while there are many oceans swimming through my mind and crashing to the shores of my heart, I cannot quite find the words to accurately vocalize them. So I'll just put up a quote by one of my favorite musicians, Justin Vernon:

And at once I knew, I was not magnificent.
Bon Iver, "Holocene"


There you go. Stalled poetics, taken at the mouth of another's words, heard by another's sound. Make today beautiful. Find your peaceful place and remember how we all yearn for something bright and bigger than our own infinite hopes.

2 comments:

  1. Wishing I could give you a hug now...so here goes....sending you a virtual one. Love & prayers for you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on Jan's comment! Much love and hugs headed your way!!!

    Haley was just asked to help with coffee tomorrow . . . she's not home to answer, but I took the call and was bummed to think that she won't be with you!

    ReplyDelete